May 14, '13, 3:08 am
|
|||
|
|||
|
Continued from previous post.
Now if you are talking about order and authority in general outside of church service matters, then I can explain that as well. At the congregational level, the pastor is the spiritual undershepherd. He is assisted by a board (sometimes called a deacon board, sometimes something else). These officers are called to serve the church. In addition, there may be other licensed or ordained ministers in the congregation that also provide leadership. These officers may or may not be accountable to the members of the congregation. If the congregation is affiliated with a denomination, then there will be further levels of authority and oversight according to the particular polities of the respective denominations: The Assemblies of God: hybrid form of congregationalism and presbyterianism Church of God in Christ: episcopal Church of God (Cleveland): episcopal (they have "overseers" rather than bishops) and highly centralized International Pentecostal Holiness Church: connectionalism Apostolic Church (based in the UK): hierarchy of living apostles, prophets, and other charismatic offices
__________________
Oh that rugged cross My salvation Where Your love poured out over me Now my soul cries out Hallelujah Praise and honour unto Thee |
|
#233
|
|||||
|
|||||
|
Quote:
Interesting. I didn't know Pentacostals (granted Ive not experienced being with a Pentacostal nor going to a service) that there is a leadership of sorts. Nor that your congregation fellowship was called a service. The Catholic Mass is also called a Service
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
To be continued... MJ
__________________
Matthew 28:20 - |
|
#234
|
||||
|
||||
|
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Jesus really meant business when he gave authority to the Apostles, as the Church is an organization. So Pentacostalism needs a system too MJ
__________________
Matthew 28:20 - |
|
#235
|
|||||
|
|||||
|
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
__________________
Oh that rugged cross My salvation Where Your love poured out over me Now my soul cries out Hallelujah Praise and honour unto Thee |
|
#236
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
Quote:
Answering your request -- "OK, so maybe we don't believe the same things. Let me explain the Pentecostal position more fully and then I'd like to hear the Catholic position in fuller detail." -- will take a bit of time as I am both overwhelmed and excited by the project of comparing theology. FYI. My theology course coincided with my nap time so there are gaps which I will have to research. May I start with a basic belief that we share. Your statement "Christ was God but also man and was without sin." agrees with the Catholic statement "Christ is True God and True Man". Christ being sinless is because God assumed, not absorbed, human nature. Thus, Catholicism holds that Christ is one Person with two natures. As a child, one of the first things I learned about The Fall is that Adam did not have the same status as God. God is transcendent Pure Spirit Creator without restrictions (simplified description). Adam is a created creature whose nature is an unique unification of a decomposing anatomy and an eternal spiritual soul. (Genesis 1: 26-27; 1 Corinthians 15: 49) Adam knew that in order to live in friendship with his Creator, he had to live in free submission to his Creator. (Genesis 2: 15-17) Jesus Christ bridged the gap between the divine and the human. So, too, it is written, “The first man, Adam, became a living being,” the last Adam, a life-giving spirit. (1 Corinthians 15: 45-49). This bridge is essential because a human creature does not have the capability to repair a shattered relationship with the Divine Creator. When we begin with John 3: 16, we can work backwards to Original Sin and its surrounding Catholic theology. Perhaps the best route is what you put in bold. Sin is foreign to human nature? |
|
#237
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
It might help if I offer examples of the type of messages God speaks to Pentecostal congregations. These come from an academic article entitled "'Discerning the Spirit' in the Context of Racial Integration and Conflict in Two Assemblies of God Churches" by Bonnie S. Wright in Journal for the Theory of Social Behaviour vol. 35, no. 4 (2005), pp. 413-435. The researcher collected these examples from observations of actual Pentecostal congregations. Page 423, an interpretation of tongues: You came here worried about your child. Your marriage troubles you. A traveling friend is on your mind. Give your cares to me. I will care for your ailing leg, missing loved one and your broken heart. Lay your burdens on me. Page 426, a prophecy: Why aren’t you praising me? There is no high praise here. I will not send my Spirit if there is no high praise. Why do you not praise me? A much older example is from the October 1906 edition of the Azusa Street Mission's official organ, The Apostolic Faith: Jesus is coming again, Coming again so soon, And we shall meet Him then. Prepare your hearts now, for the Lord is coming soon, and ye know not the hour. If you are not prepared, you will not go with Jesus. He sees each heart, and wants to prepare them for His coming. Seek Him now, for some day it will be too late. The Lord says: "I will bless all those that seek me with all their hearts, for God is no respecter of persons. The Love of God is so great." He says, "Come unto me; come unto me, and I will give you rest. I will baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire, and all those that seek me diligently." O, Jesus is such a wonderful Savior. He is coming soon and all must have their hearts ready. O, Jesus is so sweet. He says: "Watch and be ready when I come." O, He is coming so soon.
__________________
Oh that rugged cross My salvation Where Your love poured out over me Now my soul cries out Hallelujah Praise and honour unto Thee Last edited by ltwin; May 14, '13 at 6:35 am. |
|
#238
|
|||
|
|||
|
This is a very interesting thread esp. on the gift of tongues. What I
am understanding about this gift is that this gift is a gift of prayer -
although the real gift is the Holy Spirit. That is so beautiful. This
prayer is a prayer of the heart not of the mind that the Holy Spirit
gives us to praise God.
I was reading last night about 2 theologians at Notre Dame University and it took almost 2 years for one to come into tongues and 8 months for the other... No wonder I was having difficulty praying in tongues - I was not yielding to the Spirit completely??? If I want to teach my children to pray in tongues, what can I do to introduce them to this form of prayer? Is it a good idea to incorporate praying in tongues with our traditional evening prayers and our prayers for the healing of others or should I end our evening prayers, praying in tongues? We are going to a Catholic pentecost prayer service this weekend at one of the Catholic churches in our community and I'm hoping they have the opportunity to hear this form of prayer at the service. |
|
#239
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
__________________
Oh that rugged cross My salvation Where Your love poured out over me Now my soul cries out Hallelujah Praise and honour unto Thee |
|
#240
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
From your faith expereince and background, I'd like to ask: IF we believe that God is ONE? How then can God hold more than One position [one set of faith-beliefs] on LONG defined Faith-issues?
__________________
http://working4christ2.wordpress.com Can we partake of God's GLORY and NOT partake of His PASSION? NO! A.B. Fulton Sheen: "The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it." |
No comments:
Post a Comment